E.A. Gibson Mission Statement

  •  

    The mission of the Edwin A. Gibson Elementary School family is to promote a challenging academic setting for all students by fostering a total school program which motivates each student to become lifelong learners and leaders in the community.

     

    In Honor of Professor Edwin A. Gibson

    History of E. A. Gibson Elementary School 

    E. A. Gibson Elementary School is named after Edwin A. Gibson of Atlanta, Georgia. In 1929, Mr. Gibson started his role as principal of the Danville School, also known as Westmoreland, which was the oldest African-American public school in Danville, Virginia. The Danville School or Westmoreland was an eight room building located on Holbrook Street. In 1936, a new high school building was constructed on Gay Street. The building's name was changed to the John Mercer Langston High School, and Professor E. A. Gibson served as its principal until his death in 1948. In 1951, a four-year plan was begun to build additional schools in the Danville School System. The first two buildings completed were E. A. Gibson Elementary School (1952) and G. L. H. Johnson Elementary School (1953). The total construction and equipment cost for E. A. Gibson ElementarySchool was $447,656.

    Virginia Center for Digital History

     

Contact Info

  • 1215 Industrial Avenue
    Danville, VA 24541

    Phone:  434.799.6426
    Fax: 434.797.8857

    School Hours

    7:40 A.M.   - 2:55 P.M.  

    Tardy Bell: 8:00 A.M.