Student Help Desk
The DPS IT team is here to provide technical support to our students and families. There are several ways that you can contact us for help. Before you submit a request online, call, or show up to one of our staffed locations, please take a look at our user guides and Frequently Asked Questions. If you don't find what you need, feel free to reach out and we will do everything we can to help.
How do I get a Chromebook?
Chromebooks will be distributed during orientation week. You will receive information from your student's school regarding specific dates and times. You will need to sign a 'Chromebook Care Commitment' form when picking up your student's device. If you'd like, you can view it here or in Spanish, here. If you are able, you can print and sign it ahead of time and bring it with you to orientation.
How do I get a Hotspot?
If you do not have reliable internet access at home (or where you will be participating in remote learning), you are eligible to receive a cellular hotspot. If you already have WiFi at home, you do not need to pick up a hotspot. During orientation week, hotspots will be available as follows. A parent or guardian (as listed in PowerSchool) must be present and will need to present photo ID. The Wifi hotspot agreement can be viewed here or in Spanish, here. To save time, if you are able, please print and sign this ahead of time.
After orientation week, hotspots will be available at the Student & Family IT Help Desk.
What if I can't login?
First, check out the user guides. Second, check out the 'Common Problems' link. If you are receiving a message that your credentials are invalid, please reach out to your teacher if you can. Your teacher can reset your password. If none of that works, click here to learn how to contact IT.
Mouse disappears or will not click while using Chromebook
- Restart device. If this does not resolve your problem, plug in an external USB mouse if one is available; otherwise, please contact the student help desk.
Chromebook will not turn on
- Press and hold the Power button until device turns on (up to 5 seconds), or
- With the lid closed, plug in device and then open lid, or
- Plug in device and press the Power button
Chromebook is displaying 'Disabled'
- Contact the Help Desk
I do not know my hotspot's network name or password
- If your hotspot is not turned on, press the Power button on the front of the hotspot for 2-3 seconds until the LCD display turns on. After the display is on, you can short-press (less than one second) the Power button to cycle through settings. Your network name and password will be displayed.
I do not have a good cellular signal on my hotspot
- Place your hotspot near an external window. Hotspots use the T-Mobile cellular network to provide internet access. If this does not resolve your connectivity issue, place your hotspot near a window on the opposite side of your house.
I do not have a good WiFi signal on my Chromebook
- Move your Chromebook closer to the hotspot. Your Chromebook should be within 50 feet of your hotspot. If you see a low signal on your Chromebook, please move closer to your hotspot.
- Common software issues and solutions will be posted here.
Before you contact IT support, make sure you check out the user guides and the 'Common Problems' link. If you are receiving a message that your credentials are invalid, please reach out to your teacher if you can. Your teacher can reset your password. If none of that works, here's how you can contact us.
Submit a support ticket online
This is the quickest way to contact us for IT support anytime. We have several Technical Support Specialists monitoring this system. Please be patient though, especially early on, and understand that we are only able to offer support during DPS business hours.
If you are a face-to-face student please have your teacher enter a Help Desk Request
Call an IT-staffed support phone number
Technical Support Specialists will be monitoring our support phone number during normal school hours. You may call the number provided for assistance. If you do not receive an answer, please leave a message being sure to include a number for us to reach you at.
434-773-8134 Option 4
Visit an IT-staffed student & family help desk
By Appointment Only For Virtual Students
Call Taylor's Office to Schedule
Monday - Wednesday - Friday from 1:00pm - 5:00pm
All other Chromebook issues will be handled at each school location by their in-house IT Specialist.
T-Mobile Enabled Chromebooks should be requested through your student’s school.