Age of Kindergarten Entrance:
Students enrolling for kindergarten shall have reached their 5th birthday on or before September 30 of any school year.
Mandatory Entrance Requirements:
The Commonwealth of Virginia mandates the following requirements prior to entrance in public schools:
- Physical Examination(for Kindergarten and elementary school)
An examination is considered if it was administered within 12 months of starting school.
- Immunizations Requirements (K-12) A document from a physician's office or Health Department with the following immunizations must be shown to a school official prior to admission.
- DTP (diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis) - four doses with one dose given after the 4th Birthday, a booster dose of Tdap vaccine is required for all children entering the 6th
- OPV or IPV (polio) - four doses with one dose given after the 4th birthday
- MMR (measles, mumps or rubella) - minimum of two measles, two mumps and one rubella
- HepB (Hepatitis B) - Complete series of three doses
- Varicella (Chickenpox) Vaccine – one dose at age 12 months and a second dose prior to entering Kindergarten
- Birth Certificate (All Students)
Birth certificates must be shown to the appropriate school official prior to admission. This is the certificate received from Richmond, not given out at the hospital. If you do not have a birth certificate you will need to fill out a Birth Certificate Affidavit and have it notarized by the School Board.
- Residency Requirements (All Students)
Three proofs of residency must be shown to the appropriate school official prior to admission. Acceptable examples are: signed current lease agreement or current mortgage statement, a current water/gas/electric bill, current voter registration card, state or federal tax return filed within the past 12 months, check stubs from current employer with address (most recent two months), or current Virginia driver’s license or identification card.